What features do you need?

Logging of full shots / not full shots

Would it be possible to be able to log a shot as full or not full?

I miss a lot of greens and therefore need to pitch and chip a lot. This currently completely makes my distance stats useless as the short pitches and chips are registered against the club distance.

Could you make it so a tap of the club against the device registers a full shot and say holding the tag against the device for 5 seconds records a non full shot. These non full shots can then be recorded but excluded from the club performance stats.

If this isn't possible then editing the shot afterwards as a non full shot and excluding it from the stats in the software must be reasonably easy to apply?

150 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jason Meek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Adminjaehee.lee (Admin, GAME GOLF) responded  · 

GAME GOLF automatically filters out punch shots and poorly hit shots to calculate the typical distance for each club, provided that you have recorded multiple shots with that particular club. A club’s typical distance represents the distance a full swing would yield under typical conditions.

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Game Golf does not filter punch and duffed shots well. You should quit claiming it does. My full swing lob wedge is 60 yds but because I pitch & chip a lot with it my club stats say 42 yds. Same goes for other wedges & clubs. You need to allow us to filter these shots manually.

• Brian Armbruster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I have figured a way to get those less than full shots - punches, pitches, chips - out of the stats, but still factor in the mis-hits. In the My Golf Bag section, there is the ability to have 15 or more clubs in your bag. Set up the 15th club as a Generic club - no need to carry it actually.

When you are done with the round, go back and edit the shots that were less than full and change the club to the generic. Now the full swings and mis-hits are tallied for the individual club and all the pitches, chips and punches, no matter which club was used, are all contained under a single club tag.

If you are interested in your proximity to the hole you could add another club tag to your bag - one for punches and recovery shots (where proximity to the hole is not necessarily a factor) and another for pitches and chips (where the results may matter).

I have set up 3 extra clubs in this fashion

One for Punches and other recovery shots - Distance results and closeness to the hole is not a factor for these shots

One for Pitches and chips - Proximity to the hole after these shots is a stat I am interested in. You can filter for this in the Insights - approach the green section by selecting the Pitch/Chip club (to increase accuracy, you will need to ensure the hole location is accurately marked when you review the round. There are methods for tagging the hole location and such mentioned elsewhere in these boards.

One club for 'complete gaffs' - While I won't tag a topped drive in this manner (the formula Game Golf uses will edit out the results of this shot) I will mark errant chips/pitches with this tag. These are the ones where I skull the chip over the green, etc.

• Stu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the round review we should have following choices for all shots and then allow us to view states based on various combinations of club, lie, and the shot type.
        "Lie" = Tee Box. Fairway, Rough, Deep Rough, Sand, Hazard, Fringe and On Green.
        "Shot Type" = Full-Swing, Half-Swing, Chip & Punch

• Frank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice during editing the holes after the round. I want to know if I did pitch, chip etc. with which club I did that. And those pitches , chips a.s.o. will have their own statistics. specially "up and down" when chippin is a nice statistic.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My though for this would include ¼ shot, ½ shot, ¾ shot, full shot and hit something as shot types default to full shot. The reasons for this is I would use the ¼ around the green with different clubs my ½ shots I use with as a punch and I have found using game golf that my 3 iron punch will travel about 115-130 yards I have started to use this to continue to attack greens even from under the trees. The ¾ shot would definitely be helpful with my wedges as my golf instructor is having me try not to hit full shots with my wedges to attack greens. I would love to get a better idea of what the actual yardages I play when using ¼, 1/2, ¾ and full shots. the hit something would be for when we hit a tree, in the water or whatever strange item that truly interfered with the shot this shots would be excluded from all stats. I understand that this might get abused but this would give the each user quicker and more accurate yardages.

• Stan Jefferies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had an idea on this. If Game Golf comes with 18 tags, and you only need 14 for a round of golf, you could keep two of the extra tags in your pocket/bag. Assign one to chips/pitches, and one for punchouts or knock downs. If you are hitting one of these shots, take the extra tag out of your pocket and touch the sensor with it for that shot, then stick it back in your pocket. Then it will not register a 20 yard pitchout with your 7-iron against your average distances for your 7 iron. So your shot gets recorded for score, but doesn't mess up your distance averages if youre trying to accurately see how far you hit each club on full shots. Does anyone know if this will work? I'm about to buy a Game Golf, and was trying to figure out how to handle odd shots before I bought it. Thanks for any input on my idea.

• Christian C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to just have a toggle like there is for being on the green and have it labeled "full shot" or something as such.

• jimbop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is needed as im often under a tree 40yds from green and need 3-4 iron to knock it forward.

• Dennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. I hit a lot of knock down shots from within 130 yards, especially in windy conditions and for distance control. I hit my full 9 iron 155 yards, but I can knock it down to 115-125, instead of taking a full sandwedge. So when I hit a knock down it goes against my average? I don't like the idea of slowing play and switching tags, If i even remember. or even holding the tag for a different shot etc. I should just be able to edit the shot after the round and either click a box that allows it to be used against my average, Or tag the shot as a knock down or punch out. I hit my 6 iron out from some trees about 60 yards in my last round, And hit my 6 iron 2 other times full and my avg is off due to it.

• Han commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use circle, diamond and triangle tags for chips/ pitches, bunker shots and punch out (green not reachable).

• Adam Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A good example of this is my 3 iron, which i use when playing a low shot out of trouble. Has an average distance of 50 yards as I use it very rarely. Also my PW is used a lot about the greens at the moment as we are playing temps. The average for that is 50 yards shorter than i hit it.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After a few rounds the chipping is discounted from average distances for shots, as are obvious mishits so in reality is takes a while for the average distances to build to something that is, well, average. I agree though that some shots on the course are deliberately manufactured - for example a lie in the rough that requires a punched 5 iron under some branches that goes 90 yards back in to play is a well struck and decent shot. It probably wouldn't count in the upload of data as a mishit but if you hit your 5 iron 190 yards or thereabouts as an average, such a shot would have a detrimental affect to your stats. However the reality is that the stats are supposed to be an average so after 6 months golf, regardless of all the permutations, the average distance you hit each club is likely to be reasonably accurate.

Feedback and Knowledge Base