What features do you need?

Short Game Stats will make Game Golf as common as a rangefinder

My daughter is a D-1 player who switched to your product from Shot by Shot and she has completely lost all ability to track her short game stats. i.e distance from hole from approach, sand or chip, as well as 0-3ft, 3-6 ft, 6-10ft, 10-15ft, 15-25ft, 25ft-40ft, 40ft+ averages. My daughter doesn't know what to specifically practice around the green anymore and she is going to have to start keeping a journal I guess. This is over 50% of the game.

If you want every Professional, Mini-Tour Player, Amateur, Collegiate Player, and competitive Junior to own one of these (like they do a rangefinder) you must make it so they can at least record short game performance and be able to review it specifically.

254 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jeff Wolf shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Prior to purchasing my GameGolf Live device I used Strokes Gained for stat tracking. I carried a yardage book in my back pocket and paced off the distance of my first putt and then if my miss was short, long, low, high etc. Now that I have the GameGolf device I still pace off my putts and when editing post round I'm able to then move the pin into a location that makes the distance of my putts correct. What would be nice to see using GameGolf software is the average distance from the pin my approach lands.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with AndyP below. GG doesn't include approach shots of less than 50yds on its AtG screen, so if I hit my favourite short approach club (my sand wedge) say 12/14 times in a round, the Approach the Green will only show me 5/6 of those shots and not the close ones where I am hoping to get up and down. To me the Short Game is hugely important and this is a significant weakness in the product.

Why not hold the putter tag to the gamegolf device for more then x seconds to mark the location of the pin. More detailed Putting stats would help gamegolf be a killer app however the GPS error would means that shots are out by x metres (doesnt help for 3 foot putts)

• AndyP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any improvement that can improve my short game is an improvement I want, as that's where most of my shots are. The short game/putting is THE most important part of my game from a scoring perspective.

• Han commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The easiest way to implement short game stats would be a separate tag for the hole location. (which is also another feature request)

By the way: short game is not as important as you might think. (search for 'lowest score wins'). Shots with a full swing have a higher separation value.

Shot by Shot should be Game Golf's model. The data is there, they just have to figure out how to use it.

• jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having This stat keeping and analysis is basically what is holding me back from purchasing. It seems just like a glorified gps otherwise.

Reply to Dusty.
    I dont think you would need to mark the pin after the chip or first putt, only after the hole out. The system can then calculate the chip distance and putt distance, just like it does for driver and irons.
    Because the GPS ability of the game golf system is only accurate to 10-15 feet or so, it currently is somewhat impossible to accurately measure putts from 1-3 feet, <5 feet, etc, but could certainly measure <10 feet, 10-20 feet, 20-40 feet, etc. And approximate chip distances. And this would all be very good info to have, especially for the above average player.

• Dusty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The key seems to be RFID ball marker marked "pin". Players & software would have to follow one rule. After a chip/pitch/ sand shot the next tap must be with "pin" which marks the hole. All shots under 50 yards with any club followed by a "pin" tap are categorized as short game & lists the club. This will enable distances to be calculated to the pin. Once you tap putter it will then know the length of the put. It will also know the distance of the shot. The only downside is someone hits a sand shot and leaves in bunker they would have to walk to pin & tap before hitting again. Then tap pin again before put. This helps all the good players and the hackers that have it .. Well they can choose not walk to pin and record a 5 yard SW for their stats.

• david fuller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had to return to Shot By Shot due to able to better track my game .I will try again to use game golf again to see if any real changes.

• Weston Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. But for this to work, the device is going to have to be more accurate at recording your position on the course. In my experience, the device is consistently 5-10 yards off.

Feedback and Knowledge Base