What features do you need?

GPS "Chip" for Flag Sticks-- GameGolf Affiliate Courses

Follow me on this one:

Game Golf partners with an "affiliate" GameGolf friendly course.
That course has a GPS like chip screw cap on the top of the flag stick which would automatically place the hole location in the correct location on the green.

Benefits:
+ The time spent editing rounds would literally be cut in half.
+ Accuracy and relevancy of the data would become exponentially better.
+ Features like Strokes Gained, and putting stats would be powerful and robust.
+ Specific course competition features could be added... Closest to the pin, longest putt, longest approach hole-out, etc...
+ Game improvement suggestions would be accurate and golfer specific... For example, if your average bunker shot from 30 feet lands 6 feet from the hole your bunker game is solid from this distance, however if your bunker shots from 10-15 feet from the hole end up 15 feet away then this is an area that needs improvement... Having the exact distance from the flag would provide this information and allow GameGolf's intuitive algorithms to bring this to the golfers attention.

Cheers.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Billy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mccoriol22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In this world of increased competition, every brand should make use of the online advertising platforms. I also have been using the seo consulting services from http://visiblefactors.com/seo-consulting/ for my blog’s promotions and the results with this method are outstanding. It is definitely very useful approach so I would highly suggest it to other’s as well.

• Hollie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wondering if these would work as trackers for when flags are stolen? We have lost another 3 flags last night and would love to be able to find where they have been put or taken to.

If not any ideas? We only have 1 greenkeeper as we are a small nz course.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No matter the exact solution, the inability identify pin position is the biggest tracking weakness that Game Golf needs to address. Cooperation with the courses as with this suggestion would be the strongest but also the toughest logistically & cost-wise (to the company & ultimately us as customers). Off the top of my head, these costs would be creating & supplying a GPS chip for flagsticks as well as setup, maintenance & replacement costs

But perhaps something could be worked out where 'Game Golf Featured Courses' (or some similar moniker) would absorb some of the cost by added cost by recognizing the marketing value of attracting Game Golf users.

• John Karam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The software should be able to recognize a pitch or chip from the distance to the green. I.e. If the distance is under 50 yds then a new category pitch/chip would catch these shots. Currently I use a 9 iron for chip shots around the green. The software is folding these shots in with my 9 iron club performance stats thus giving me unreliable data for that club ( a median distance of 17 yds). It can't be too hard to program that into the software. Having said this it is agree at piece of software and I am greatful to have it for free. Works flawlessly with my pebble watch. Thanks so much.

• larrybud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GPS IS NOT ACCURATE ENOUGH! Get off the putting stats! Not going to happen with GPS! +/-3 yards at BEST. 18 foot diameter!

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds good, but not entirely sure of the practicality. I think as others mention, a way to easily tag where the flag is would be ideal.

• Walt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with the others. Just give us a way to "tag" the hole when we retrieve our ball.

• Pepito06 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be a ball marker with a built in nfc tag that you can use to tag at the exact pin point.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GPS is not accurate enough to provide decent putting statts. So this would have no use.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of having a gps on the flag stick, why not have a button or a tag to press/tab on the flag stick to mark where it is.

• Cory Fantasia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You wouldn't need a gps unit in the flag stick if you could convince golf course staff to record and submit the hole position for the day. Since there is a finite number of cup locations per green, once Game Golf knew hole X was using cup position 1 today, we'd only need to lookup the gps coordinates of that cup position. May be too much for some courses, but I'd imagine they're already recording this info for their rotation patterns and some would want to better integrate with this great product.

• ParHunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a GPS to the flag stick won't work in real life. I was surprised to hear how often these flag sticks are actually stolen!

All that is needed is a company providing one precision GPS receiver to interested golf clubs. The greenkeeper then records the position when ever they cut or change the pin location. This is being uploaded and distributed to paying customers like GameGolf, SkyCaddie and the likes.

Feedback and Knowledge Base